Friday, August 5, 2016

When I'm gone - Emily Bleeker

Title - When I'm Gone
Author - Emily Bleeker
Genre - Mystery
Pages - 365

Luke Richardson has returned home after burying Natalie, his beloved wife of sixteen years, ready to face the hard job of raising their three children alone. But there’s something he’s not prepared for—a blue envelope with his name scrawled across the front in Natalie’s handwriting, waiting for him on the floor of their suburban Michigan home.

The letter inside, written on the first day of Natalie’s cancer treatment a year ago, turns out to be the first of many. Luke is convinced they’re genuine, but who is delivering them? As his obsession with the letters grows, Luke uncovers long-buried secrets that make him question everything he knew about his wife and their family. But the revelations also point the way toward a future where love goes on—in written words, in memories, and in the promises it’s never too late to keep.
                                                               *********************************************************************************

I bought this book looking at the reviews. There are just so many people who loved this book, I fail to understand how. I literally struggled through the first 60% of this book. None of the characters held my interest, and nothing happened in the first half.

The author is too descriptive. Descriptive is good, but too descriptive about mundane things is a major turn off. I decided to actually stop reading this book today cause it got me so frustrated, but I have never done that before, start a book and decide to stop halfway because it was that miserable.

This book is supposed to be a mystery novel, but how one can finish this book and give a good review is a mystery to me. I finally decided to very quickly skim through only the conversations of the remaining 40%, it took me an hour and I don't think I missed any detail.

The whole plot actually lies in the end, and after I realized what the mystery or the secret the dead wife "Natalie" had kept from her husband "Luke" was, I thought to myself, this could actually have been a very well written book since the plot is good. The two stars I have given are entirely earned by just the plot.

If you ever decide to read this book, just read the stuff that's in the double quotes and the unending quirky letters by the dead wife.

For all of you who love the book, I swear I started reading this one with an open mind. I always do. It just wasn't good, at all. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment